Dear Retail Member,
ACTA is calling out to its members who lead professional Canadian Travel Agencies and are dedicated to driving profitable growth. If you are an ACTA member committed to ensuring there is a strong voice to actively advocate for the Travel Agency Community and our rights to government and the industry at large, consider joining a provincial council.
ACTA is the best advocate and recognized expert on core issues that are a priority to the retail travel industry. Core issues include obstacles to profitability, government legislation and regulations, relations with travel suppliers, international relations and other topics that affect the success of your business and with your clients.
ACTA works within four pillars: Advocate, Educate and Elevate, Promote and Connect. Some of the current issues that ACTA is working on your behalf include regulatory review at both the federal and provincial levels, travel insurance, supplier concerns including IATA matters, fraud, and education. Whereas the National Board of Directors oversees and guides the association as a whole, the Regional Councils do the same for their province. The Regional Councils report to the National Board and in many cases, it is the council chair that is elected by the membership to sit on the National Board of Directors.
The ACTA Regional Council Members serve a two-year term of office. Nominations are now being accepted.
The elections will be held in January 2019 with the new council convening within 30 days following the elections.
Regional Councils work within Terms of Reference. The following is an excerpt from the Terms of Reference of who is eligible to sit on a Regional Council (the full Terms of Reference can be found on the ACTA Website (w88/2cf/bylaws):
In order to sit on a Regional Council, one must be:
- A Principal of a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Authorized in writing by a Principal of a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Someone who fills a management function (as that term is defined or determined by the Board of ACTA) with a Retail Travel Agency in good standing in the region, or
- Someone who has their CTC or CTM designation in good standing and works in an ACTA member Retail Travel Agency, or
- Someone who fills a management function (as that term is defined or determined by the Board of ACTA) with either
- A consortium of, or
- A head office of a chain of, or
- A franchisor, of Retail Travel Agencies in good standing in the region, whether or not such consortium, chain or franchisor is also associated with Retail Travel Agencies located outside of the Region, and must be either:
- Elected pursuant to the procedure outlines in subparagraph b), or
- Appointed pursuant to the procedure outlined in subparagraph e), and must,
- Confirm in writing that he/she agrees to serve in this capacity so as to further the objectives and mission of ACTA, as set forth in the Bylaws.
To receive further information about your role as a Regional Council member please contact the Regional Membership Manager within your province.
Your nomination form can be found here. Please note that nominee(s) must confirm their willingness to serve if nominated. Nominations must be received no later than January 11, 2019.
If you are a leader in travel, apply for a position on the ACTA Regional Council or nominate a fellow ACTA member to act on behalf of this ACTA region. Do your part for the well-being of our industry and the success of every ACTA member in Canada